Author Topic: Broken Down in Portland. Arghh  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Megsfolks

Broken Down in Portland. Arghh
« on: June 24, 2019, 12:10:18 PM »
Driving home to Spokane from Portland and all of a sudden check engine light and STOP engine hits the dashboard indicators.  Pulled over quickly to side of freeway.   All gauges show normal, but plugged in silverleaf and it shows an intermittent no oil pressure warning.  Waiting for Good Sam to find us a tow to a cat service center.  Engine was running fine when lights went off.    This is our first trip with it and we completed a flawless 500 miles so far.  Yesterday I did notice oil was down to add so I added 1/2 gallon to get to full.  Only other oddity is that when I started this morning, the RPM gauge on the dash was all over the place...pegging and then falling and bouncing hi and low even though the engine was running smoothly. After about 10 miles the rpm gauge settled.  Any thoughts? 

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Broken Down in Portland. Arghh
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 02:35:18 PM »
You have mentioned a couple of things that point to an electrical issue.

I would check  both positive and ground connections at the chassis battery.  Did you notice what voltage was at the dash gauge when this happened?

Offline Megsfolks

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 09:27:16 PM »
Hello Brett,
The dash gauge for the battery shows at about 13.5 or so.  I have VMSpc and it shows it at about 14.4.   The dash gauge for Oil was solid at 40 psi or so.   I looked at the VMSpc at the same time and it fluctuates Oil pressure from 0 to 80 seemingly rapidly.   I was able to get Good Sam to tow me to  the local Cat truck service in Portland. Hoping they can get to it in the morning.   I will memtion grounds to them.   

Offline blewis9991

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 09:01:26 PM »
Megsfolks

What coach, year and engine do you have?

If there were no engine error codes on the VMSpc and it is not overheating, this may be an electrical problem. I talked with Art at SilverLeaf last week regarding getting the oil pressure readings on my Cat 3126B and he stated that there was no way to get them. The Cat engine and control module for my year does not have a sensor to read and therefore they can't pick it up  and send it thru the CAN ODBII bus (which VMSpc uses). My coach is in my signature.

Robert and Bev Lewis
2000 Safari Continental, since 2017
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison

https://safaritoonces.org

All the best getting this fixed.

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 03:14:36 PM »
blewis9991,  think you are being mislead or do not understand you Caterpillar 3126B
engine. Taken a little time to bring you update on your 330 hp engine. First of all I pulled
up the spec’s you indicated not present on your engine   Starting what is called engine
arrangement number or builder spec. sheet way your engine equipped when built tested
and shipped. The A/R number 143-1362 will tell you everything on your engine. Let’s
start with all the sensors,  atmosphere pressure sensor, boost pressure sensor, coolant
Temperature sensor, engine oil pressure sensor, low oil pressure warning sensor, engine
oil temperature sensor, engine speed / timing sensor,  injection Actuation Pressure Sensor,
air intake temperature sensor, fuel temperature sensor, throttle position sensor. Let’s
Talk about your oil pressure at high Idle 41.8 psi and low idle 18.4 psi . Last the engine ECM
has a data connection which is a 6 pin J-1708 which Caterpillar diagnostic service tool
called Cat ET which will read all information off the engine ECM. If any questions about
Readout of fault codes would suggest taking to a Caterpillar Dealer service and connect
Into your engine. Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic