Author Topic: Draining and priming fuel system  (Read 162 times)

Offline blewis9991

Draining and priming fuel system
« on: August 08, 2019, 09:58:57 PM »
Hi

I got our Safari 2000 Cat 3126B from a dealer that had taken parts off the machine and I am new to maintaining the operation of the coach. So I don't know what should be there and isn't on the fuel system.
I searched on line and through these forum posts but do not see a solution to my problem. I have a Racor filter and control panel. One wire from the filter system has I think, had some equipment removed. I attached some pictures of this. I get a power light on the racor panel and can push the two buttons H20 Purge and Air Purge but nothing happens. Therefore I do not know how to drain the water. I can see rust chunks in the clear filter bowl and need to know how to remove these. Also I do not see a priming pump talked about in the forums.

I have been advised that I don't need to deal with the non functioning Racor panel that is is obsolete, just manually drain the water. I think that is good advice but I don't know how to drain the water, purge the air or reprime the filter or if there is a way to do so.

If someone could point me in the correct operation of the system and what I need to buy to put back whatever was removed I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
Re: Draining and priming fuel system
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 10:25:03 PM »
Blewis9991.  Looking at the picture and can see tow things out of place. Number 1 the red
Fuel filter is not correct fuel filter for your engine. That is your secondary fuel filter Cat 1R-0751
Which is a 2 micron fuel filter that is required for your engine ( picture shows a10micron fuel
filter ). Second the site glass on the Racor fuel/ water filter is black inside which is telling
me you have engine oil enter your fuel system via: o-ring seals on the injectors. That needs
to be looked at. These Racor water / fuel setup has caused tread of problems. And all
you need to do is buy a Caterpillar water/fuel filter and base and remove another problem
Cost for cat filter setup is around $ 115.00 Ask Dave Atherton Retired Cat mechanic

Offline blewis9991

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 08:48:01 PM »
Dave, thank you for the valuable information. I think the picture is bad on the water separator bowl. It is a dark amber but as far as I can tell not black, I will take a new picture in the sunlight and post it. There are some debris in the bowl, I have been told this is algae, how do I get this out. Do I remove the two screws on the bottom of the bowl?

I understand that this is not a good system. Do I change the primary filter housing, or the secondary and the water separator? Does it all come as a unit. Do you have a part number I can look up.

Thanks again for the help.

Robert and Bev Lewis

2000 Safari Continental, 2017 - present
3126B Cat, 330hp
MD3060 Allison

https://safaritoonces.org

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 05:29:40 AM »
Robert, been very busy at the FMCA at Minot, ND.  You can buy a water / fuel filter
and filter base from Caterpillar parts dept. the cost for both the filter and filter base
will be around $ 115.00 you can remove the aftermarket water/ fuel setup up ( remove
inlet and outlet hoses and nothing else. ) install the caterpillar water / fuel filter in
place. Note: after install refill water/fuel filter and screw on filter base. That is all you
need to do. Do not worry about the air purge off aftermarket filter setup it is not needed.
start engine and your ready to go. Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic