Author Topic: Noise in my Turbo???  (Read 354 times)

Offline dmevis

Noise in my Turbo???
« on: August 25, 2019, 12:53:33 PM »
I have a new-to-me 2007 Winnebago Journey 34H with a CAT C7 engine.  I have noticed a noise coming from the engine.  I have pretty substantial hearing loss, so I am unable to properly diagnose sounds or the directions from which they come.  To me, it sounds like a high pitched air leak or ringing.  Sound is loudest when standing on the passenger side of the RV, just ahead of the engine.  I had a diesel mechanic look at it and he confirms there is some mysterious noise.  Thought it might be the Idler pully or belts, but no.  He spend about an hour trying to find the noise.  The only thing he tried that seemed to stop it (temporarily) was putting a screwdriver up into the waste gate of the turbo and moving the flapper.  He said the flapper was moving freely, but may be vibrating and causing the noise.  In the end, the mechanic said to keep driving it until whatever the problem is gets much worse or something actually fails.  I have since put 5K miles on the RV. 

But... the sound is still there.  Can a turbo waste gate flapper cause that kind of sound?  If so, does it matter?

Any other ideas or suggestions.