Author Topic: Turbo Install - Last Bit of Help Needed  (Read 272 times)

Offline LPD218

Turbo Install - Last Bit of Help Needed
« on: October 04, 2019, 12:05:40 PM »
I got the old turbo out and got the new one installed except for the expansion bracket that goes between the PAC Brake and the turbocharger exhaust out.   

I need help here.  I have the correct part (bracket) but there is no way to get the new bracket ends close enough to get the nut on the bolt to tighten the bracket.  I’m short about an inch and a half. 

I know the rims on the bracket expand when tightened.  The old bracket had to be cut off due to rust and corrosion and the rims had expanded.  When comparing the old to the new, the expansion in the old rims is clear.

So how do I get this bracket on?

Thanks,

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Turbo Install - Last Bit of Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 01:42:13 PM »
I assume you have verified the mating surfaces/flange areas are the same and have the correct V clamp.

Are you sure that you have the mating surface of the PacBrake firmly against the turbo?

Sometimes one of those "three hand" jobs to get it close enough to allow the exhaust brake clamp to go over the mating surfaces of both and slip the clamp into place.

May have to take the nut off to allow the clamp to expand enough to get it over the flanges.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 06:10:26 AM by Brett Wolfe »

Offline LPD218

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 02:51:54 PM »
Brett,

Thanks for the response.  I had to take the old turbo or incur a core charge.  I got the right turbo I am sure.  The old bracket/ clamp fits but there is no bolt on it as I cut it off.

Offline LPD218

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 05:22:42 PM »
I learn a lot from my mistakes!   Guess there are CAT vclamps, PACBrake vclamps, and other brands.  I must have the wrong part. Checking the internet shows different applications and different seam angles.

I will check with PAC Brake since it is their device I am trying to seal to.

Almost done!

Offline LPD218

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 01:55:01 PM »
Well it is a done job.  Took my time and, after getting the correct v-clamp got the last step done on the install of the C7 turbocharger.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!  It really helped for this first-timer tackling a job I didn’t know if I could do.