Author Topic: c-7 air engine air filter  (Read 89 times)

Offline rudi schaffner

c-7 air engine air filter
« on: October 07, 2019, 01:03:55 PM »
57k on the filter the glass shows half yellow . should i replace it
rudi

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
Re: c-7 air engine air filter
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 08:29:05 AM »
rudi, yes my suggestion change out your air filter and at the same time take a oil sample
of your engine oil. The reason behind this past two years there has been several engine failures
( root cause dirt in engine or term dusted ) that required complete overhaul or replacement
of engine. The oil sample report if for any reason dirt fines got passed the air filter and into
engine would reduce the cost of a major engine failure. Past two years the above reason
and the aftermath engine failure Cost ran started $ 33,000. To last Failure in July $ 63,000.
In closing some service shops are using this Term dusting of engine via dirty air filter with
no merit because attention bought to Diesel Club Forum , Ask Dave I have a problem. The
First response to owner do not let any work to be preformed until oil sample is taken and
hand carried by owner and sent to oil testing lab . The results of technical advice on the
Diesel Club forum found that misdiagnosed problem and nothing wrong with 3 engines
That claim to be dusted . The total cost that would have paid out if owners give go ahead
and repair adds up to be $ 147,000. In closing advice, oil samples is your first action on
all repairs. Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic