Author Topic: cat 3126 cuts out then restarts  (Read 423 times)

Offline sledbiker

cat 3126 cuts out then restarts
« on: December 10, 2019, 08:33:39 PM »
I see it's all changed from Yahoo groups... was all good while it lasted!

New and better I see...

Well the problem Is strange it's like I turned the key on and off.. It all comes back like nothing happened.

I have the Ametek SWVER 1.3 VEHICULAR INSTRUMENTATION SYSTEMS and it shows no codes.

I changed the ignition switch hoping that that would solve the problem, yet the problem continues.

Need help, If it's sensor and stuff on the motor need to know where to look, pictures would be good

Thanks in advance

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: cat 3126 cuts out then restarts
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 05:21:16 AM »
sledbiker,

Welcome to the Diesel RV Club.

Please tell us what coach you have (year model, make and model).

What else other than the engine cuts in/out?  Does the Allison shift pad stay on and in the correct gear?  How about the dash HVAC fan?

What was chassis battery voltage when this happened?

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 06:39:54 PM »
Brett and Sledbiker, this cut out of engine and than on again sounds like Injection Actuation
Pressure Sensor starting to fail. Next time this happens disconnect the triangle shaped
wire connector and try starting when disconnected if engine starts with IAP disconnect
The IAP Sensor is bad. Location on engine block first sensor from front of engine, ( Note
The IAP Sensor has a mushroom looking base along with pig tail about 12 inches long )
Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Offline sledbiker

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 07:00:41 AM »
sledbiker,

Welcome to the Diesel RV Club.

Please tell us what coach you have (year model, make and model).

What else other than the engine cuts in/out?  Does the Allison shift pad stay on and in the correct gear? YES How about the dash HVAC fan?Lots of time its not on AC but the dash fan stays running

What was chassis battery voltage when this happened? Normal

Thanks Nice to be back

2002 National RV Tradewind LE  Cat CKM23341

Offline sledbiker

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 07:14:06 AM »
Brett and Sledbiker, this cut out of engine and than on again sounds like Injection Actuation
Pressure Sensor starting to fail. Next time this happens disconnect the triangle shaped
wire connector and try starting when disconnected if engine starts with IAP disconnect
The IAP Sensor is bad. Location on engine block first sensor from front of engine, ( Note
The IAP Sensor has a mushroom looking base along with pig tail about 12 inches long )

Does it look like this...

Man! Three letter word for hard water... What the HAY

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 04:13:21 PM »
SledBiker, yes this correct before you buy the IAPSensor disconnect the present IAP
sensor on your engine at the pigtail connection. With pigtail disconnect than start engine,
if engine starts the IAP Sensor is bad and needs replacement. If engine does not start than the IAP Sensor is not bad. Note: buy only Caterpillar replacement components aftermarket
electronics leave big question if and how long they work.  You must remember this sensor
Is part of group of ( 5 ) 5 volt sensors on your engine that share same signal wire from
engine ECM. I choose to go with the most common sensor that fails with cutout problem.
At present information is very limited to really get involved in trying to assist with your problem.

Offline sledbiker

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 10:46:32 AM »
Gee, Thanks! I think You Nailed it....