Author Topic: cat c7 lacking power  (Read 491 times)

Offline Clint

cat c7 lacking power
« on: December 05, 2019, 09:11:45 AM »
Hi Dave
I just joined this group looking for advice. I recently purchased a 2005 Itasca with Cat C7 350 hp and 38,000 miles Serial # KAL63669 in Georgia . Drove the coach to MD. Got MD inspected, changed oil and fuel filters. It ran great.

We drove this RV from Maryland to Denver, Phoenix and were headed back home after a month. The coach ran good all the way across country approximately (5,000 miles) until we came to Virginia when I started losing power going up hills. The coach would run fine on flat terrain and downhill. Uphill speed went from 55 mph to almost nothing. Put the flashers on and continued on looking for a diesel shop. It continue to get worst. I made it to a shop. Coach would idle, but had no absolutely no power. The shop had to push the coach in the bay. Had fuel filters changed; no change. Hooked up to diagnostic machine, no codes were found. A dead injector test found 4,5,6 injectors were down. Hard to believe that 3 injectors would be down at same time, we had injector harness replaced. This also did not work. Looking for solutions. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks Clint

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
Re: cat c7 lacking power
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 04:51:03 PM »
Clint, welcome to the Diesel RVClub. Have a few questions your troubleshooting on your
Engine is this a Caterpillar service shop.or a non - Caterpillar shop. I’m having a time a
Time understanding why when replacement of 3 injectors and cannot figure out what is wrong.
The same time there are nothing in the area of fault codes make me to believe your not at
a caterpillar service shop. With this information of all 3 injectors not firing and replacement
The same. The J-2 data connection has bad connections , dirty connections, loose data wire harness at J-2 connection at engine ECM. I assume the mechanic already check the injector
wire harness at valve cover. It is very odd to have 3 injectors side by side failure other than
Checking wiring harness all the way down to the J-2 data connection at ECM. It some times
Happens the Allen screw holding the data connection to ECM and in loose and water and dirt
Is breaking electrical connections and corruption of ECM pins. Going to stop here and mechanic
needs to look real close at just what I put down for you. Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired
Cat Mechanic

Offline Clint

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 06:07:23 AM »
Hi Dave,
Thank you for your reply. This not a Caterpillar shop. It is a heavy duty truck & bus repair facility. They replaced the wire harness for the injectors. Put a new ECM and said this doesn’t read any codes either. They put old ECM back on. I explained that all the injectors did not go down together.
This coach sat for about 2 years before I purchased. While travelling around country I always filled with fuel when down to ¾’s of a tank, except the last fill at ¼ tank. With this being said, could it have stirred up debris off the bottom and clogged the injectors?
Will relay your suggestions to the shop.
Thanks Clint

Offline Clint

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 05:26:57 PM »
Dave,
We did get! repaired, took out 3 injectors and cleaned. Running great again.!
Thank you for your input. Have a great holiday.
Clint