Author Topic: New Turbocharger. Any Maintenance To keep It Working?  (Read 246 times)

Offline LPD218

New Turbocharger. Any Maintenance To keep It Working?
« on: November 30, 2019, 04:06:44 PM »
Hello,

Got a new turbocharger in my 2004 Cat C7.  Changed out due to waste gate frozen solid.  The turbocharger was original with 47,000 miles on it.  When I inspected it the turbine was loose but the fins were not damaged. 

My question is there maintenance I could be doing to make a turbo last longer.  I let it cool after driving.  Should  I put PACBrake oil on the waste gate pin from the outside or even open the exhaust end and oil the waste gate from the inside?

Thanks!

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
Re: New Turbocharger. Any Maintenance To keep It Working?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 06:57:04 AM »
LPD218, wastegate sticking and freezing up is uncommon. In many cases build up of carbon and rust than sitting idle and not run will cause this to happen. To answer your question leave
wastegate alone do not try to lube shaft on turbo housing because exhaust heat will just burn
Lube off. Start up and run in between long periods of sitting idle. You indicated the shaft seem loose, as long as deflection of shaft side ways does not.hit into turbo housing that is normal . The easy way to
check your turbo shaft side movement, take a strip of paper and slide it in between the shaft
and housing deflection to side of housing and Same time turn shaft . If you can pull paper strip out in one piece turbo shaft movement in ok. The side movement spec is .004 which what a
Strip of paper measurements of .004. Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Offline LPD218

Re: New Turbocharger. Any Maintenance To keep It Working?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 04:51:56 PM »
Thank you for the response!