Author Topic: Lost all house power  (Read 927 times)

Offline JerryK

Lost all house power
« on: February 19, 2020, 09:42:30 AM »
I brought my coach home from an extended stay, first during the trip I lost my headlights, I stopped at a walmart bought new headlights and still nothing. I hit my hibeams and viola they worked, they arent very bright so I decided to attempt to make it home. I got home okay and never got flashed once for brights. So much for brights. Anyway I went inside and later was going out to plug my coach in to shore power and it started to rain so I opted to fire up my generator until I could string up my coach no problem. After about an hour and a half the rain stopped I went out and hooked the coach up to sore power after I killed the generator and went inside to get some sleep. The next morning I went out to begin unloading and discovered I had no lights, I checked the fridge and it was defrosting. I went outside and checked my connection it was good. I decided to disconnect and fire up the generator until I could look into trouble shooting. I tried to fire up my generator, it was dead, nothing, nada . I looked at my power panel and everything was dead except engine power was showing at 12.9 all other electrical on house was dead. My inverter is still humming I suppose coming from my house batteries I checked them with a tester they are at 12.8. I'm at a loss I have never seen this problem posted anywhere and am thinking maybe my inverter has gone bad. Its raining again and I can't do much but I am going to disconnect the house batteries and plug into shore power to see if the inverter responds in any way. I checked all fuses swithes, GFCI, and breakers. nothing. Anyone who can offer suggestions I would appreciate it.
2005 Winnebago Journey 39K, C7 350HP
18 Dodge Laramie Eco-Diesel TOAD

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
Re: Lost all house power
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 09:57:34 AM »
Puzzling, as the headlights should be off the chassis battery, while interior lights off the house battery bank.

The place I would start is to verify that battery connections (both positive and ground) are clean and tight.

After that see if you have a disconnect switch near the house bank, or perhaps a fuse. Next "downstream" is the house bank disconnect, controlled by the "salesman switch" by the door.

Offline JerryK

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 10:11:28 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking the two were unrelated but I'm more a mechanical guy than electrical, I've already checked my connections they're good. The reason I mentioned the headlights I suppose was because they're 12 volt. I still have that problem with them. I'm thinking there is some sort of a module for those thats on the blink. I believe because I've looked at so many different sites and suggestions off the net this problem is somewhat unique as I've found nothing close to matching what I'm seeing. I checked my salesman swich its actually located in my battery compartment. I did notice when I turned it off then back on I heard a clicking noise in the compartment up front of the drivers seat. Somewhere near the generator sounds like.

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 10:14:49 AM »
Best route when troubleshooting is to use your voltmeter and start at the battery.  Work toward the 12VDC fuse box and see where "12.5+ voltage" goes away/drops to sub 12.0 VDC.

Offline Brett Wolfe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 10:15:26 AM »
Best route when troubleshooting is to use your voltmeter and start at the battery.  Work toward the 12VDC fuse box and see where "12.5+ voltage" goes away/drops to sub 12.0 VDC.

MUCH better approach vs guessing or replacing parts.

Offline JerryK

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 10:35:36 AM »
I agree.  ;)

Offline JerryK

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 10:12:45 AM »
An update: After running my multimeter all over it looks like my problem is my converter. My electrical outlets have power. None of my 12 volt house items, IE; lights, refrigerator... work. I can actually begin seriousely looking into this matter as the rain has finally stopped.

Offline trekker01

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 04:35:37 PM »
Is your Salesman's switch turned off?  Don't know how Winnebago handles that, but in my coach there i a switch in the stairwell, but in newer coaches it may well be a rocker switch.  If you have good voltage at your house batteries, and no power at your 12v fuse panel (distribution point for most of the house 12v power), I would suspect you have inadvertantly turned off the salesman's switch, which shuts off the power supply to the 12v stuff in the house.  Has nothing to do with your headlight problems, however.
Gary
1998 Safari Sahara 3126B Cat 300HP
CAT #7AS01206, Allison #6510139688
FMCA, Escapee, Good Sams
Central Florida