Author Topic: recommendations for OBD sensor  (Read 216 times)

Offline car2ner

recommendations for OBD sensor
« on: September 14, 2020, 08:48:53 AM »
We use a FIXD sensor on our car and truck but the port is different on our Class A.  According to FIXD it won't work with an adapter.  We would like to have a consumer level code reader for our 2020 Thor Palazzo.  Freightliner / Cummins round ports  Suggestions?

Thanks
Dawn and Vic

Offline Tom Bernardi

Re: recommendations for OBD sensor
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 09:51:44 AM »
One suggestion:

I have been using Silverleaf Electronics unit that constantly monitors your engine, transmission and other optional items for over 10 years and would not be without it. It will also give you the error codes in the system - immediately or historical. You need a PC or tablet and the VMSpc module.

https://www.silverleafelectronics.com/silverleafelectronics.com/index.php

Hope this helps,
Tom
Tom
2017 Newmar Dutch Star 4054 / Freightliner 450HP Cummins ISL / Blue Ox Avail / '17 Jeep Wrangler Sahara / Brake Buddy /
Silverleaf VMSpc w/Pressure Pro TPMS

Offline Tom Bernardi

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 09:53:56 AM »
Another alternative is a Cummins module that goes onto the green connector, but you can buy the Silverleaf Electronics unit for about the same money.

Tom Bernardi
Tom
2017 Newmar Dutch Star 4054 / Freightliner 450HP Cummins ISL / Blue Ox Avail / '17 Jeep Wrangler Sahara / Brake Buddy /
Silverleaf VMSpc w/Pressure Pro TPMS

Offline car2ner

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 01:59:29 AM »
thank you Tom. We will definitely take a closer look at this.

Online trekker01

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 05:16:50 AM »
I, too, use VMSpc (Silverleaf) with my laptop.  Simultaneously running a GPS mapping program in split screen mode.  VMSpc requires a Windows operating system to run.  You have to design your own screen view, but your choices of what to view are extensive, and only limited by what your ECM has available and your monitor (screen) realestate and what you want to view.  It captures and reports any trouble/error codes from your engine and transmission, and keeps a history of them. 

Gary
1998 Safari Sahara 3126B Cat 300HP
CAT #7AS01206, Allison #6510139688
FMCA, Escapee, Good Sams
Central Florida

Offline car2ner

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 02:46:11 PM »
thank you Trekker

Offline pfhays

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 04:51:22 PM »
One other point on VMSpc is that some older coaches cannot run the newest versions of the software.  I have a 2000 Magna with a CAT C-10 and run version 2.5.  Version 3.0 is supposed to work with my engine but it doesn't offer me anything over 2.5 and I don't see a reason to update.  The newer version fail to report some of the data that I currently access with 2.5.