Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Cooling System / Re: Adding Coolant
« Last post by Captpar on Yesterday at 02:17:33 PM »
Thank you
« Last post by Brett Wolfe on Yesterday at 08:29:22 AM »
No, the petcock will drain more than just the radiator.  It will drain most of the engine and some of the other parts of the cooling system (hoses to dash heater core, heater core and if you have it the motor-aid part of the water heater.

If you are getting into this much work, I would sure do the whole job and drain, flush and fill the whole system with new coolant.
« Last post by Captpar on Yesterday at 04:47:36 AM »
New question  in  regards to above , when I drain from petcock is the coolant only coming from the radiator and what is the capacity of the radiator only  since I want to competely drain just the radiator and replace coolant .
Fuel System / Re: HEUI Pump
« Last post by antiqueclockservice on August 17, 2018, 07:47:24 AM »
Thanks Dave!
« Last post by David.e.atherton on August 16, 2018, 07:33:13 PM »
Phill, there is more to your question, last update 12 /23 / 2010 the following information
SEBD-6846. New injector wiring harness kit in now available to make injectors repairs
On 3126 A, 3126 B, 3126 E, C-7 and C-9.  New  366-9748 wiring harness kit replaces
The existing 156-7106 injector wiring harness.  There are no more technical bulletins
and new number for wiring harness 366-9748, because cost the o-ring on electrical connector
has not given any problems and easy to correct yourself at little cost to you.
Ask Dave,  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
« Last post by David.e.atherton on August 16, 2018, 06:30:06 PM »
Phill, special instruction REHS1809, Installation Procedure for 156-7106 Injector
Wiring Harness kit.  Caterpillar engines included: 3126 A,  3126 B,  3126 E,  C-7
and C-9.  Media number SEBD-6763, date upgrade 01/ 12 / 2003.
Ask Dave,  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
« Last post by antiqueclockservice on August 16, 2018, 07:38:15 AM »
Hi Dave,

Any idea of when Cat started using the revised injector wire harness?  My C7 was assempled in 2004.

Best,
Phil
« Last post by David.e.atherton on August 14, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »
Hi Tim and welcome to the Diesel Club forum. The question asked about the Heui injection
system. The injector electrical connection in valve cover to injectors. First let me explain
some of the options a service shop is going to throw at you. The first approach you have
A bad injector or injectors and in most events will be injector number 5 or injector number 6,
than service shop will try to get you to install a complete set of injectors. Than approach
number 3 should change out your Heui pump. At this point you are looking at around $ 10,000.
Problem at hand for stopping at service shop low power. Why replace injectors ? They failed
engine cutout test with Cat ET Service tool. You already pin pointed where your problem
is located ( bad electrical connection to injector ) Caterpillar repair for this problem install
new wiring harness for injectors, cost wiring harness and labor around $ 5,000. Now the
question on repair with little o-ring the repair for doing all six injectors for supply’s is less
than $ 10.00 . Last answer to your question, does this repair work and how long does it last?
The answer to this question we have assisted many motorhomes and have not heard of
any problems and several have been out with this repair going on 3 or more years. We have
had several post reviews from motorhome owners and the Diesel Club has saved them over
Ten thousand dollars from service written quote for low power listed above. The Diesel
Club has a special area called Ask Dave, where technical caterpillar information is avaible
one on one to club members. The information is factual which can be backed up with hard
copy to member problem at large including part numbers and Caterpillar ET engine codes.
Again welcome To the Diesel Club from Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Caterpillar Mechanic
« Last post by fraydknot on August 14, 2018, 05:21:09 PM »
Hi everyone, newly registered and first time posting. I just want to find out how this "O-ring" repair has held up. I recently started experiencing these identical symptoms. We traveled to Chicago from Jacksonville, Fl. and back without any issues back in April 2018. On Memorial day weekend we traveled to central Florida and I experienced the check engine light (CEL) and engine derate after I kicked off the cruise control to our final stop (last 3 miles). It occurred again on our return trip home, about the last 3 miles. We have since made a few more small trips with minimal occurrences. We attempted to make a trip to Disney World last week but had to change our reservations to a hotel since the light came on almost immediately so we chose not to push our luck, plus we had minimal power. Very frustrating!!! I have a CanDo code reader but the check engine light does not leave a hard code. During the occurrence I was able to drive with my reader plugged in so I got the following message: "PID94 Fuel supply pressure FMI1 Data valid but lower than operating range Activation 0". When the CEL is active the engine power is far less but there is no stored code which baffles me. This is why this post caught my eye. I am able to cancel cylinders with my reader and sometimes #2 & #4 cylinders do not make much of a difference when fuel supply is cut off and then all of a sudden this Cat purrs like a kitten. Also, on another note, I'm able to see at 700 rpm's my Injection Actuation Pressure is 2320.36 psi and the Desired Injection Actuation Pressure is 2320.0 psi. My injection actuation output is 43.50%.
This evening I removed the valve cover and unplugged each injector and at least 3 of the connections were covered in oil. I do not have the O-rings to install yet but I think I may have become a victim of this oil intrusion which would make sense why #2 & #4 cylinders are sometimes unaffected by the fuel cutoff.
What size are the O-rings that I should purchase?

Hopefully someone can help me. Before reading this post I was thinking the pump was going bad but if someone has seen the above said message from my code reader or has the experience to stop me before spending $3500 on a pump install then I would be forever in your debt.

Thanks in advance!
Tim
Cooling System / Re: Replacing Cooling System Parts - need a list!
« Last post by David.e.atherton on August 11, 2018, 08:38:16 AM »
Kevin , this post is very old unless you just getting around to starting project . There is
one suggestion but think you do not want to go with this. Myself, Price shopping on major
Parts and going away from OEM parts is not recommended. Been a hands on technician
40 plus years and use of aftermarket parts or like kind only will cause problems ahead.
I can provide Caterpillar parts number only. Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10