Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Fuel System / Preventing HEUI Pump Failure
« Last post by Gadget Man on Today at 06:01:44 PM »
Like many informed owners of older CAT C7 engines, I’m aware of issues with the engine’s HEUI pump system. I’ve been told that providing clean filtered oil to the engine should help to minimize a HEUI pump failure. With this in mind, I change my oil and filter every year or 5k miles.

I read an interesting post in an RV forum, where a CAT C7 owner claims that running CAT brand motor oil minimizes the risk of HEUI failures even more. He went on to say that CAT had the oil engineered by Mobil Oil, to help reduce HEUI pump failures. He believes they did this by adding extra zinc to the oil blend.

I don’t believe everything I read in forums. Brett has never steered me wrong. Is there any way to confirm or debunk the above claim?
Routine Maintenance / Re: Allison Service Procedure
« Last post by David.e.atherton on October 30, 2018, 03:01:50 PM »
Captpar, your not in trouble on overfill. When draining transmission you do not drain 100%
of all the fluid because there is little oil Trapped in the system. Checking messenger on
Allison touchpad also indicated some thing. Biggest thing recheck bolts torque on filter
housing and filter housing being wet from weeping gasket. Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired
Cat Mechanic
« Last post by Captpar on October 30, 2018, 11:42:48 AM »
Changed filters and after thinking about it went ahead ang changed the fluid. I marked my container for the drained fluid so I would know how much to replace. The drained fluid showed
4 gallons,so I poured in four  gallons of new transsyde. However when I poured the old fluid  into the jugs I only got 3.75 gallons. So I overfilled by one quart.  Not really wanting to open it up again and drain a qt out,I fired it up and went for a ride to heat up the transmission. Then checked it with keypad!,it stated oil OK. So am I good to go,Or do you recommend draining the qt out?
« Last post by Brett Wolfe on October 23, 2018, 01:40:29 PM »
The good news here is that the Allison filter kit comes with very complete instructions.  No need to search.

An inch-lb torque wrench and a 3/8" ratchet and a couple of sockets and you are good to go.

VERY simple operation.

Really hard to make this complicated.
« Last post by David.e.atherton on October 23, 2018, 01:25:58 PM »
Captpar, I would suggest use Allison technical information direct versus direction from
outside sources. lately on other technical problems the outside information versus
OEM specs there has been a difference of option in values incorrect torque in other areas
Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic.
« Last post by Captpar on October 23, 2018, 09:17:14 AM »
You tube video cited above states tighten filter bolts to 32, whilje above says 38-42 which one is right?interesting since I plan on replacing my filters this weekend.
Other Systems / Re: fixed to roll out generator
« Last post by ziggyh on October 20, 2018, 09:35:15 PM »
A slide out battery tray also always catches my eye.
« Last post by ziggyh on October 20, 2018, 09:17:22 PM »
Good luck, beside the front cap issue, I had a lot of cables and hoses along the frame rails that would have to be dealt with.
Beside the battery cables the AC Lines and fuel lines would also need to be able to flex out. There may not be enough room in the frame rails to put the slides but I'm sure a tray could be made to attach from the bottom of the rails to accommodate the slide out tray, think the biggest problem is the front cap unless you are good at working with fibreglass or know a good body man.  The cost might be a bit steep depending how handy you are.

The other thought is the genset isn't to bad to service for, oil, air filter and antifreeze flush the only time it turns into a bit of a labour job and a pain is changing the water pump belt or other components when they fail and that hopefully doesn't happen too often, so depending on cost it is questionable doing the mod for me.
But yes it would be nice for when shit happens.
« Last post by Charlie/Susie on October 20, 2018, 04:37:51 PM »
hey Ziggyh,  good to hear that someone else thinks like me. The Bounder we have has a removable panel in the front cap that looks like it would be for the genset but it may have been an optional slide. I will keep looking and call Fleetwood and Freightliner to see if it is possible. Would also need to get extra long cables. Will post what I find out , wish me luck. Charlie.
« Last post by ziggyh on October 19, 2018, 05:26:08 PM »
Charlie, its a great idea, wish mine would slide out to, but I think there would be issues with the cutting and finishing of the front cap if that's where your genset would slide out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10