Page 3 - Spring 2019 Travelore
P. 3

DRVC Travelore - Page 3
The Officer’s Corner
Rod Kenly, President
By the time you read this, it will likely be that the early spring FMCA event (at Perry, Georgia) concluded. As to late February, the weather here on the high desert is still good, but I see the result of several snowfalls on the east- ern Sierra’s right outside my door. That means I’m still in shorts. I haven’t had long pants on for a year – woohoo!
We had a great rally at the Western Area FMCA in Janu- ary at Indio, California. If you haven’t been to the Indio rally, you should go. I always leave the Southern California event with a sunburn. But, after the application of aloe, it becomes the start of a tan.
Why do I mention Indio? It is the first event where I’ve seen more than ten 5th wheels at an FMCA venue. Now that FMCA is welcoming towable units, we are starting to see increasing numbers. There were even new and used units for sale by the dealers at the Indio event.
The DRVC rally was in Americus, Georgia, right around 60 miles from Perry. As part of the rally, those present attended a play – “Peter Pan” – as part of the rally. It was yet another great rally in which we had a Poker Run and played Baseball Bingo.
We had a group discussion of some of the “oops” that we have had while RVing. I’ve had a couple of stories that I got to report. We’ve all had those things happen, and it’s funny to look back at them now. Of course, at the time they weren’t nearly as funny.
What’s even better, is that the 100th FMCA Family Reunion and RV Expo will be this summer at Minot, ND. This is the first time that FMCA has been to Minot in at least 10 years. I’m looking forward to it.
To our new members (and existing members as well), I hope you take advantage of the DRVC offerings – this includes our rallies, the online technical forum, and the technical seminars conducted at our rallies. I really encour- age members to attend the rallies and experience the camaraderie that exists.
At the Americus rally, we had a total of 24 units registered. Of the total, there were nine who were attending their first rally. This was, perhaps, the most first-timers we’ve had in some time. That is encouraging.
This issue of the Travelore to be sent to those who have recently become new FMCA members. This allows you (new members) to learn more about our club, activities, and information we offer to aid in your enjoyment of your RV, as well as take advantage of our first-year-free offer.
As always, I would like to ask our members to step forward and volunteer for activities. The DRVC was asked again to help with security at the FMCA event in Perry. For those who signed up, they got to enter and park a few days early at no cost.
According to a report covering the last thirteen rallies, we’ve had a total of 147 units (a unit can be a couple,
a family or an individual). Ken Carpenter and his wife have attended the most rallies with a total of eleven. The median average is 2.3 rallies per member. The average attendance is 26 per rally. Keep in mind that the report only covers the last half of our existence as a club and I’m not sure what it reveals regarding the rallies and our over- all membership. It’s just an interesting fact.
Last comment and hint—inspect your tires before your next trip. Do you know the date code on your tires? Remember – we tend to age out tires on our RVs. They don’t wear out but they will “go bad” just from age. And, inspect the tire pressure and have your coach weighed so you know the proper inflation for your tires and weight carried.
See you down the road—
Rod
August 4-9, 2019 Miles City KOA
Diesel RV Club Miles City, Montana

1   2   3   4   5