Author Topic: Erratic oil pressure and turbo pressure  (Read 194 times)

Offline Wbwimer

Erratic oil pressure and turbo pressure
« on: July 20, 2020, 07:40:15 AM »
On my 2016 Freghtliner with an ISL 15 I am having an intermittent problem. When it happens I lose power and the engine oil pressure drops to around 25psi and the turbo pressure drops to 0 psi. Both of these pressures are erratic and as they return to normal power returns. I have gotten a malfunction light and a couple of different codes. One of the codes is low or erratic power to instruments.

Any ideas?

Offline trekker01

• Administrator
Re: Erratic oil pressure and turbo pressure
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 10:09:25 AM »
Dave will have more tech ideas than I have, but is your battery voltage also fluctuating along with the oil pressure and turbo boost?  Possible loose/poor battery connections on the chassis batteries?  Power connection to the ECM?  Bad grounds?  Time to replace batteries? 
Gary
1998 Safari Sahara 3126B Cat 300HP
CAT #7AS01206, Allison #6510139688
FMCA, Escapee, Good Sams
Central Florida

Offline David.e.atherton

• Global Moderator
Re: Erratic oil pressure and turbo pressure
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 04:34:15 PM »
Wbwimer, after our phone call on your 2016 Cummins engine problem and the Insite event
code of 723. The following breakout of the 723 code crankshaft position sensor leads to a
interment ground or bad sensor. Myself would suggest going and troubleshoot the ground,
crankshaft sensor, and the computer data cable going from rear of engine to front key switch.
One thing I have found with todays electronic engines ( loose or dirty ground connections are very important and overlooked.) Ask Dave, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic