Author Topic: Hopefully a simple furnace / CCC2 question?  (Read 349 times)

Offline zagracing

Hopefully a simple furnace / CCC2 question?
« on: August 31, 2020, 06:47:49 PM »
Hey Folks,

Damn, the internet is absolutely worthless to me.
Every time I have a simple yet specific search criteria, I end up spending hours with no luck.
The job here is like 10 minutes if that.

I bought a new set of Dometic Brisk II AC units that came with the CCC2 thermostat.
I have a 1998 Damon with what I believe is a Atwood LPG furnace which currently is controlled by an analog thermostat.
The ccc2 however is a full control system which includes a furnace but for the life of me, I cannot find out the specifics on wiring the thermostat to my furnace?

Let me explain.
The manual says absolutely nothing about this hookup other than there are two blue wires that go to "furnace"
I have no idea what the 2 blue wires do? Can't seem to find +12volts on either of them and really cannot even figure out an association between the two.
What I know at this moment is that the 2 wires coming from my Coleman analog unit are red and white. Looks like +12volts between the 2 wires.
This is odd too. When the thermostat is off, there is 12 volts between the wires but when the furnace runs, there isn't. Seems backwards to me if this is supposed to be some sort of circuit completion with the thermostat?

Anyway,
What I am looking for is the guidance on how to hookup a older Atwood LPG furnace to the Dometic CCC2 thermostat and I can finally move on from this.

Thanks in advance
Bernie

Offline trekker01

• Administrator
Re: Hopefully a simple furnace / CCC2 question?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 05:50:08 AM »
Bernie,
The thermostat you got gets connected only to the roof A/C control box at/near the A/C.  Mine (a Dometic Penguin digital system) has that box in a cavity in the roof beside the 14" square roof opening and came with the new A/C.  The box is then connected to the furnace with existing wires.  The thermostat controls the box, the box controls either the A/C or the furnace, whichever is selected by the thermostat.

My rig has two A/C units on the roof.  Only one of them has the wiring to control the furnace going to it, so while I had to use two digital thermostats, only one can control the furnace as well as the one A/C it is connected to.  Took me several months to understand how to purchase what was needed to do what I wanted.  I found the Dometic folks to be very helpful when faced with what I wanted to do, but I was then able to shop for what was needed, and the hard part then was getting the old out and the new onto the roof to install. 
Gary
1998 Safari Sahara 3126B Cat 300HP
CAT #7AS01206, Allison #6510139688
FMCA, Escapee, Good Sams
Central Florida

Offline pfhays

Re: Hopefully a simple furnace / CCC2 question?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 02:24:52 PM »
If you still have the old thermostat put an ohm meter across the connections for those two wires at the thermostat and set the thermostat to heat.  Then change the temperature to see if at some point the wires have zero ohms and then goes to an open circuit as you change the temperature setting.  If this is the case then the two blue wires probably behave in the same manner and you can try the same experiment on them.